Thursday, September 25, 2008

Congratulations to David

Well tonight we met and held the special election. I thought the turnout was ok, the room was filled but I am not exactly how many votes were cast and what kind of percentage it is. Anyway I pretty nervous leading up to the speech. I had prepared some remarks, but my wife always tells me I am much better at speaking to the people instead of hiding behind a paper. So I tried to convey my feelings for the party and where I wanted to lead it. Boy does four minutes go by fast! Anyway I probably stumbled a little with the question answer session, but who knows. When all is said and done the votes were cast and David James came out on top by just under 10 votes.

You know, in all honesty I probably lost the election myself. I didn't follow my own rhetoric. I waited until the last minute to try and call people and ran out of time before I got through half the list. I saw one person from around where I lived. Had I gotten the 2 or three precinct chairs, vice chairs and secretaries here from those areas here, I would have won. So I learned a hard lesson today about politics, it is about who shows up. (I also lost two votes because a certain 2 people decided to take a cruise in the caribbean)

So what does this mean for me? Well, I need to make sure my Leg district gets out to vote. I will be working hard talking to the precincts and making sure they understand their role. I will work hard to help make sure the Lincoln Day Dinner goes off well and that we can raise funds for our party. And come March or April when we convene again, you may very well see my name again up for office. I love politics, I love being a republican and I love my country.

No comments: