Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why I am running for county chair

Ever since I was in Junior high, I loved politics. Actually let me take that back, my initial interest probably came in 1984. I was 10 years old (my son's age now...wow) and Ronald Reagan was running against Walter Mondale. For those of you who may remember, Walter Mondale did something historic...he had a woman VP. Anyway I remember we had a mock election and the majority of us voted for President Reagan (as did the country). When I went to college I studied Political Science and was quite interested in how elections worked and what swayed people to vote the way they did. What I found is that people are motivated by change (hence the big push that Obama has been emphasizing, idealistic change without any real plans). It is because of that love of politics that once I moved to Utah, I began to be involved with this grass roots level of politics.

I was quickly impressed with the Utah idea of having precinct meetings and a county convention. I was elected to be a delegate and I have served as Vice Chair of my precinct as well as for the last two years a leg 3 co-chair. It has been a great learning experience for me and I have realized that I want to try and accomplish three things for the party if I am elected. They are:
  • reduce voter apathy and increase awareness of our political system here in Cache Valley
  • Increase the amount of republicans attending precinct meetings and conventions
  • Increase local fundraising efforts to help maintain our republican values in our valley

In future posts I will outline how I hope to accomplish these goals. Also please use this blog as an opportunity to comment and maybe we can get some discussion going. Also feel free to contact me via e-mail for suggestions on topics or just general questions you want to know. I will have some pictures up soon also so you can see who I am.

Finally, I would really like your support on September 25th. I feel that together we can make our valley stronger and make sure that the Republican Ideals continue in this beautiful place we live.

No comments: