Thursday, September 4, 2008

McCain's speech


I know that a lot of people have gripes about McCain. To the ultra conservatives he is too liberal. For some it bothers them that he has worked with both parties and he has the respect on both sides of the aisle. But I would hope that we could all admit that there is something refreshing about a leader that is able to overlook party lines and in his mind vote what is best for the people as whole. I loved his speech today (albiet, he is not a good orator and I am sure if elected David Letterman will have a good time with some of his antics....did anyone else notice how often he winks?) A lot of what he said rang true for me. I don't like the idea that if your elected republican or democrat that you need to do what the "leadership" says. Who to say what "they" believe is the correct course.

I think we forget that in our country we elect people to represent us. That elected official not only represents you but also me and many more. I have my opinion and you have yours and while some might agree with me, maybe more agree with you so it is up to our elected official to make a decision based off what is best for all. You cannot always make people happy. Every decision one makes will draw criticism from somewhere. With that in mind, it is refreshing to know that McCain holds certain values and is governed by those values (love of country, love of service just to name a few). Yet he made it clear that his cabinet and those whom he surrounds himself with, will be people from both sides. There will be active debate on subjects and in my mind somewhat of a checks and balances that we need in Washington and even here. After listening to him today, I feel that it is John McCain's turn to be President. Will he accomplish everything he wants, no. Will he cause some of us Republicans to wonder which side is he on....probably. But at least he is straight forward and a fighter.

No comments: