Saturday, September 6, 2008

Letter to the editor

I am glad we have freedom of speech and the ability to write into a local newspaper. But if you are going to write something, at least sound intelligent and not like well, I can't even say it! I am not even a liberal and today when I read in the Herald Journal a letter, I thought, "boy, I feel sorry for him". I am sure in the next few days there will be more letters attacking the poor guy for his remarks. You can go and read the letter for yourself http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2008/09/06/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/letter01.txt

Now maybe this guy failed world geography, but I don't quite understand how being the son of a man born in africa makes him Middle Eastern? Or how being a christian makes him muslim? I am not a Obama fan, or sympathizer but come on, this election is about issues and not about race or religion. Hopefully most will read his letter and not assume that his beliefs are typical of Cache Valley residents or Republicans.

This country is great because we can have the voice to speak out. We do not have the government cracking down and not letting people speak their mind. We believe that people have the right, within the guidelines of the constitution, to say what they want. Want we do not have the right to do is be mean spirited and discriminatory. Now some might question me on that last remark and ask what is discrimination? And maybe that will be a topic of further discussion later, but for this post it means, lets not vote for the democrats because thier candidate is black or for the republicans because we have a woman candidate. Let's look at the issues presented and then make our choice and leave race, gender and religion out of it!

No comments: