Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Financial mess

I am like many Americans, concerned about our economy. Most elections come down to the economy. As a matter of fact when people desire a change usually the economy is the reason. Look at 1980 and 1992 for example. There are some conservatives very upset about the proposed bailout. As someone in the finance world, I have mixed feelings. I am always leary when the government steps in. However at times I do believe it is necessary. The purpose of government is to protect its citizens. Often we see that in times of war and we become very patriotic and nationalistic. Well I also believe that the government needs to protect our own economy. I understand the government is one of the culprits in this mess. However, I tend to agree with the Treasury secretary that at least we have a plan on the table. Congress needs to act fast. Our economy needs help. I don't have the answers, I am not an expert. I just know that people are concerned about their money. People are stuggling to make ends meet. People are losing their jobs and costs are rising. I am preparing salary budgets for next year and I am told that I can increase wages by a maximum of 4%. Yet our food, cost of health insurance, and gas for cars and heating has all increased more than that. Times are tough and so it is important that we elect people that can and will work together so we can overcome this tough time.

No comments: