Saturday, February 7, 2009

basketball and coaching

Sometimes I wonder why do I coach. Mabye coaching is like golf, you wait for that one great hit and even though you suck the rest of the time that one hit makes it worth it? My wife and my son and even some of the parents say I don't suck at coaching. Heck most of them think that I do a good job because I am so positive. But you know it sucks to always lose by like 30+ points. But its JR Jazz and its suppose to be recreation league. However it does seem like most of the time the luck of the draw just doesn't work for my team and you should see some of those kids, I swear they are as tall as most freshman in high school!

I probably should state that last years JR. Jazz team I coached we actually won all of our games, this year we will probably lose all of them. Maybe its the basketball gods conspiring against me or maybe it has to do with level of skill...thats an interesting thought. But I need to sit back and realize that usually I can see small improvement in my players at least some of them! How do you teach desire and agression without having them knock players over! How do teach a kid to stop whining win you suck at defense and your guy scores and get back to play? How do you teach your own son to move around more and get some dang rebounds without yelling at all of them and looking like a jerk of coach? And does it really matter? I come home, I analyze the game for hours while my son and I am sure all the players just go home and move on. I think there is a lesson there...it probably doesn't matter whether or not we get completly destroyed (50-12) what matters is that the kids still like the game and they are getting excercise. But really maybe the real question...do I still like the game? And I have to say, being a coach is better than just being the parent in the stands because, well I can only blame myself if my son doesn't play as much as he should or if he sucks...its all my fault, because I am the coach.....and you know..I am ok with it.

No comments: