Sunday, March 1, 2009

Conservatism and rule of law

So on Friday night, I attended the annual Lincoln Day Dinner event with about 100 other local Republicans. The food was pretty good, the company was great (of course I was sitting next to my wife and my table was full of credit union people). At this dinner our Keynote speaker was Paul Mero from the Sutherland institute which is a Utah conservative think tank. He speech was pretty good and there was one thing that really stuck out to me. He mentioned that a conservative "conserves" values. I guess I had never thought about the root of the word. I sometimes struggle with the concept that I want to be compassionate toward my fellow human beings, yet there are core things I just can't believe.

Lets take gay rights for example. It has been in the news a lot lately. From a compassionate stand point, I understand what they are trying to do. It isn't right that a partner should not be allowed medical information even though they have lived together for many years. That information would be given to a non married heterosexual couple after they have lived together for the allotted number of years as dictated by the laws of the state. I can understand their feelings that they long to feel like their relationship should be seen in the same way as all other marriages. I do get it. But, there is something more prevailing than what society (or what some say the society says) is the norm. There are certain laws that cannot be broken. These laws are eternal in nature and honestly they are laws that some governments just do not understand or believe in, yet they are still eternal laws.

Let me explain with an experience in my life. For three years I got to serve my church by going to the local detention facility for youth. It was one of the greatest service opportunities I have ever had. Here were these kids, in jail. They ranged from ages 10-20. They were there for a myriad of crimes including accessory to murder and sexual crimes. One time I was asked why they should believe the same things I believe. What makes the commandments that I follow important for them to follow. So I used an example. I like to drive faster than the speed limit. Now I honestly think that some speed limits are insanely to slow! So I guess you could say that I don't believe that I should have to drive 25 mph near my house. Now if I get stopped and the police officer comes and says "You were going 10 miles over the speed limit" and I respond, "I don't believe in the speed limit" what will the cops response be? Hopefully he wouldn't arrest me but am not still guilty of violating the law, even if I don't believe in it? According to the state yes, and I would suffer the consequences.

So how does this example relate? These eternal laws are just that, eternal! We will all be held responsible and suffer the consequences whether or not we believed the law. Luckily though, in the whole scheme of things, the final judge is a merciful one, and there is always a way to come back. So even though I can relate with the arguments of those who want certain rights to be given to gays, up to and including Gay Marriage. The fact is, there is an eternal law which defines marriage. Now is there some compassion that needs to be shown, but how far do we go down the path and then deny the ultimate goal of which they are fighting for? Laws were established based off moral principles. Certain rights are inherent in who we are, but is marriage? If it were, then my ten year old son, could get married right now without my permission. But I think we can all agree that would just be wrong. I will end this post, by saying that I hope we can come up with a solution that allows all people the basic rights of knowledge and ability to act in the well being of those whom we love, regardless of sexual orientation, yet we must preserve the eternal institution of marriage, for it is an eternal law and cannot be broken.

No comments: